Professional Flute Service
You should have a flute service every 6-12 months.
In a routine flute service, the technician should complete tasks such as:
- removing any dents from the body of the flute.
- check all pads for wear, and make necessary replacements.
- a small amount of shimming.
- a full clean of the flute, including under the mechanism, removing most dust and tarnish.
- inspection of the case, to ensure it is adequately protecting the flute.
- cleaning and oiling of the mechanism, to keep it running smoothly.
- inspection and necessary replacement of any worn or missing felts or corks.
- inspection of the instrument for air leaks, and make necessary adjustments.
Various further tasks in addition to a flute service may be required to bring your flute to full working order.
Often this would be to treat damage inflicted upon the flute, such as a dent in the body or head joint, a bent key or a snapped spring. These things can be costly to repair, so you are best advised to take good care of your instrument in the first place!